Madras University Distance Education is a mode of learning offered by Madras University, a prestigious university in India that has been providing quality education since 1857. Through its Institute of Distance Education (IDE), which was established in 1981, Madras University Distance Education allows students to study from anywhere and anytime. You will find useful information about the courses, admission, fees, and more of Madras University Distance Education for the academic year 2023-2024. This article will help you if you are interested in pursuing distance education at Madras University.
Courses at Madras University
Madras University distance education offers various types of courses in different categories. Select the option that meets your needs most.
- Undergraduate courses. These are bachelor’s degree courses in arts, commerce, science, or other fields. For example, B.A., B.Com., B.Sc., BBA, BCA, etc. You need to pass 10+2 or equivalent to join. These courses are three years long and in English or Tamil. You can study by yourself or through tele-education.
- Postgraduate courses. These are master’s degree courses in arts, commerce, science, or other fields. For example, M.A., M.Com., M.Sc., MBA, MCA, etc. You need to have a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field to join. These courses are two years long and in English or Tamil. You can study by yourself or through tele-education.
- Diploma courses. These are courses that give you specialized knowledge and skills in a field or discipline. For example, PG Diploma, Diploma, and Certificate courses in journalism, yoga, hotel management, law, medicine, etc. The eligibility and duration of these courses vary by level and type. They are in English or Tamil. You can study by yourself or through tele-education.
The courses follow the curriculum, syllabus, and evaluation methods approved by the Madras University academic council and the UGC and DEC norms and standards. The curriculum and syllabus cover the core and elective subjects and topics for each course. The evaluation methods include assignments, projects, practicals, and exams by the Madras University exam wing.
Admission to Madras University Distance Education
Admission to Madras University distance education is based on the following process and requirements:
- Application form. Fill out and submit the application form for the course you want to join. You can get the application form from the IDE office, study centers, or online. You need to attach the required documents, such as proof of identity, qualification, address, etc., with the application form.
- Fees. You need to pay the application fee and the course fee along with the application form. The application fee is Rs. 100 for all courses. The course fee varies depending on the type and duration of the course. You can pay the fees by cash, demand draft, or online.
- Deadlines. You need to submit the application form and fees before the deadlines specified by the IDE. The deadlines vary depending on the academic year and the type of course. For example, for the academic year 2023-2024, the last date for admission to undergraduate courses is August 31, 2023, and for postgraduate courses is September 30, 2023.
- Admission criteria and selection process. The admission criteria and selection process for each type of course are different. For some courses, admission is based on merit, i.e., marks obtained in the qualifying examination. For some courses, admission is based on an entrance test, i.e., a written or online test conducted by the IDE. For some courses, admission is based on both merit and entrance tests.
- Admission notification and counseling. After submitting the application form and fees, you will receive an admission notification from the IDE confirming your admission status and details. You will also receive a counseling letter from the IDE inviting you to attend a counseling session at the IDE office or study center. The counseling session will help you to complete your admission formalities and enroll in your chosen course.
Fees for Madras University Distance Education
Madras University distance education charges different fees for different types of courses, such as:
- Undergraduate courses. The fee for these courses is Rs. 6,570 per year for B.A., B.Com., B.Lit., B.Nat., and B.Music courses, and Rs. 9,170 per year for B.Sc., BBA, and BCA courses. The fee can be paid by cash, demand draft, or online.
- Postgraduate courses. The fee for these courses is Rs. 6,500 per year for M.A., M.Com., M.Lit., M.Nat., and M.Music courses, and Rs. 18,850 per year for M.Sc., MBA, and MCA courses. The fee can be paid by cash, demand draft, or online.
- Diploma courses. The fee for these courses varies depending on the level and type of the course. For example, the fee for PG Diploma courses is Rs. 11,050 per year, the fee for Diploma courses is Rs. 6,000 per year, and the fee for Certificate courses is Rs. 5,150 per year. The fee can be paid by cash, demand draft, or online.
Fee Concession and Refund Policy:
Madras University distance education also offers fee concession and scholarship schemes for its students, such as:
- Fee concession for SC/ST students who are eligible for the post-matric scholarship scheme of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Fee concession for differently abled students who have a disability of 40% or more.
- Fee concession for women students who are widows or deserted by their husbands.
- Scholarship scheme for meritorious students who secure a rank in the university examinations.
Madras University distance education also has a refund policy and penalty charges for its students, such as:
- Refund policy for students who withdraw their admission before the commencement of the academic year or within 15 days from the date of admission.
- Penalty charges for students who fail to pay their fees within the prescribed time limit or who submit false or incomplete documents or information.
Additional Information and Services
Madras University distance education also provides some additional information and services that may be useful or relevant for its students, such as:
- Study materials and resources. Madras University distance education provides study materials and resources in a self-learning format or tele-education mode. Self-learning format includes printed books, e-books, audio-visual CDs, etc. Tele-education mode includes online lectures, webinars, podcasts, etc.
- Personal contact program (PCP) classes. Madras University distance education conducts PCP classes through online or offline mode. PCP classes are optional and supplementary classes that provide interaction and guidance to the students. Online PCP classes are conducted through video conferencing, chat, or email. Offline PCP classes are conducted at the IDE office or study centers.
- Examination system and results. Madras University distance education follows the examination system and results of the Madras University examination wing. The examination system includes the exam schedule, hall ticket, question papers, answer scripts, mark sheets, etc. The exam schedule is announced by the IDE before the commencement of each academic year and a hall ticket is issued by the IDE before each exam. The question papers are prepared by the IDE faculty and experts and are based on the curriculum and syllabus of each course.
- Degree certificate and other documents. Madras University distance education issues the degree certificate and other documents upon completion of the course. The degree certificate is issued by the Madras University examination wing after verifying the eligibility and completion of the course. The degree certificate is equivalent to the regular degree certificate issued by Madras University.
- Alumni association and other services. Madras University distance education has an alumni association that connects its students and graduates with the IDE faculty and staff. The alumni association organizes events, activities, and programs for its members and provides them with opportunities for networking, learning, and development. Other services offered by Madras University distance education include student support services, grievance redressal cells, placement cells, etc.
Madras University distance education is a great option for students who want to pursue their educational goals through distance education. It has many benefits and features, such as flexibility, affordability, accessibility, and quality. It also has a prestigious reputation and a high standard of excellence.
Also, Read: Indian Law