Are you dreaming of visiting Niagara Falls, one of the most spectacular natural wonders in the world? If so, you will love this travel guide to Niagara Falls, where you will find everything you need to know to plan your perfect trip. Whether you visit from the Canadian or the American side, you will be amazed by the beauty and power of the three waterfalls that make up Niagara Falls: the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and the Horseshoe Falls. You will also enjoy the many attractions and activities that Niagara Falls has to offer, from boat tours and helicopter rides to museums and casinos.
You will find everything you need to know to plan your perfect trip to Niagara Falls. You will learn about the best time to visit, how to get there, how to book your accommodation and activities, what to pack, what to expect, and more. You will also find tips on how to make the most of your visit, such as where to eat, what to do with kids, how to save money, and how to avoid crowds.
Best time to visit Niagara Falls
In this travel guide to Niagara Falls, you will learn about the best time to visit this year-round destination that offers different experiences depending on the season. Summer (June to August) is the peak season, with warm and sunny weather and high water flow, but also higher prices, longer lines, and more crowds. Spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) are ideal seasons to avoid the summer rush and enjoy pleasant weather and colorful scenery.
You can also enjoy some festivals and events, such as the Niagara Falls Beer Festival in April or the Winter Festival of Lights in November. Winter (December to February) is the low season, when the weather is cold and snowy, and some attractions are closed or have reduced hours. This also means lower prices, fewer tourists, and a chance to see the frozen falls and ice formations.
How to Get to Niagara Falls?
Niagara Falls is located on the border between Canada and the United States, so you can get there by different means of transportation depending on which side you want to visit.
If you are visiting from Canada, you can fly to Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), which is about 90 miles away from Niagara Falls. From there, you can take a bus, a train, or a shuttle service to Niagara Falls. You can also rent a car and drive for about 1.5 hours. If you are visiting from the United States, you can fly to Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF), which is about 20 miles away from Niagara Falls.
From there, you can take a bus, a taxi, or a shuttle service to Niagara Falls. You can also rent a car and drive for about 30 minutes.
How to Book Your Accommodation and Activities?
Niagara Falls has a wide range of accommodation options for every budget and preference. You can choose from hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds and more.
Some of the most popular areas to stay are near the falls, where you can enjoy the views and access the attractions easily; downtown Niagara Falls, where you can find restaurants, shops and nightlife; or near Lundy’s Lane, where you can find cheaper options and outlet malls.
Niagara Falls also has a lot of activities for every taste and interest. You can choose from adventure tours, sightseeing tours, cultural tours, and more.
Some of the most popular activities are taking a boat ride on the Maid of the Mist or Hornblower Niagara Cruises; flying over the falls on a helicopter tour; walking behind the falls on Journey Behind The Falls or Cave of The Winds; exploring the history of Niagara Falls at Old Fort Niagara or Niagara Falls History Museum; having fun at Clifton Hill or Casino Niagara; or tasting wine at Niagara Wineries.
What to Pack?
What you need to pack for your trip to Niagara Falls depends on the season and your planned activities. Some general items that you should bring are:
- A passport or an enhanced driver’s license if you plan to cross the border between Canada and the United States.
- A waterproof jacket or poncho if you plan to get close to the falls or take a boat ride.
- Comfortable shoes for walking around.
- A camera or a smartphone for taking pictures.
- A swimsuit if you plan to go swimming or visit a water park.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses for summer.
- A hat, gloves and warm clothes for winter.
Tips to Make the Most of Your Visit
Niagara Falls is a place that you will remember for a long time, but you can make your visit even better with some tips, such as:
- Plan ahead and book your accommodation and activities in advance to avoid disappointment and save money.
- Check the weather forecast and the water flow before you go to make sure you have the best conditions for your visit.
- Get an attraction pass or a package deal to save money and time on some of the most popular attractions.
- Visit early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid the crowds and enjoy the views.
- Take advantage of the free or cheap attractions, such as Niagara Falls State Park, Niagara Glen Nature Reserve or Whirlpool State Park.
- Try some local specialties, such as Buffalo wings, poutine or ice wine.
What are the requirements for entering Canada at Niagara Falls?
To enter Canada, you must have a Passport, a Passport Card or Enhanced Driver’s Licence (only available in some states) if you are a US citizen and 16 years or older. A passport is mandatory for air travel, no matter your age.
Can I go to Niagara Falls Canada without a visa?
If you want to see the Canadian side from the American side, you need to get a tourist visa from the Canadian consulate in your country of origin. Be aware that there is no Canadian Consulate in Niagara Falls, US, and you cannot get a tourist visa at any of the border crossing points.
Is one day enough for Niagara Falls?
You could see Niagara Falls in a hurry in one day, but it is more enjoyable with a two day stay (or more).
Which side of Niagara Falls is better?
You can enjoy the best view of Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. You can easily visit both sides (USA and Canada) by walking from one border to the other.
How to get to Niagara Falls from Toronto by train, bus, or car?
You have several options to get to Niagara Falls from Toronto by train, bus, or car. By train, you can take the VIA Rail or the GO Transit from Union Station to Niagara Falls Station, which takes about 2 hours and costs around $20-$40. By bus, you can take the Greyhound or the Megabus from Toronto Coach Terminal to Niagara Falls Bus Terminal, which takes about 2.5 hours and costs around $15-$30. By car, you can drive along the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), which takes about 1.5 hours and covers about 80 miles.
What are the best hotels near Niagara Falls with a view of the falls?
Some of the best hotels near Niagara Falls with a view of the falls are:
- Marriott on the Falls: A 4-star hotel with spacious rooms, an indoor pool, a fitness center, and a restaurant. The hotel offers stunning views of the falls from its floor-to-ceiling windows and balconies.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Niagara Falls Fallsview: A 4-star hotel with suites, an indoor pool, a fitness center, and a restaurant. The hotel offers panoramic views of the falls from its windows and terraces.
- The Tower Hotel: A 4-star hotel with modern rooms, a fitness center, and a restaurant. The hotel offers spectacular views of the falls from its tower-shaped building and observation deck.
When is the best time to visit Niagara Falls to see the fireworks and illumination?
The best time to visit Niagara Falls to see the fireworks and illumination is during summer (June to August), when the weather is warm and sunny, and the water flow is at its highest. During this season, you can enjoy the fireworks show every night at 10 pm over the falls, as well as special shows on holidays such as Canada Day and Independence Day. You can also admire the illumination of the falls every night from dusk to midnight, with different colors and themes.
How to book tickets and passes for Niagara City Cruises, Niagara Parks Commission, WildPlay Whirlpool Adventure Course, and Marineland of Canada?
You can book tickets and passes for Niagara City Cruises, Niagara Parks Commission, WildPlay Whirlpool Adventure Course, and Marineland of Canada online using platforms such as Viator.com or GetYourGuide.com. You can also buy them at the attractions’ ticket offices or kiosks. Booking online in advance can save you money and time, as well as guarantee your spot.
What are some fun and free things to do in Niagara Falls for families, couples, and solo travelers?
Some fun and free things to do in Niagara Falls for families, couples, and solo travelers are:
- Visit Niagara Falls State Park: The oldest state park in the US, where you can enjoy hiking trails, picnic areas, scenic views, and free admission to attractions such as Cave of The Winds Gorge Trip and Aquarium of Niagara.
- Explore Niagara Glen Nature Reserve: A natural area along the Niagara River, where you can enjoy hiking trails, rock climbing, bouldering, and wildlife watching.
- Watch the Floral Clock: A large clock made of flowers that changes its design every season. It is located near the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservatory.
- Enjoy Clifton Hill: A lively street full of attractions, shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues. You can enjoy free admission to some attractions such as Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum and Guinness World Records Museum.
What are some of the best restaurants, bars, and cafes in Niagara Falls?
The best restaurants, bars, and cafes in Niagara Falls are:
- Skylon Tower: A revolving restaurant that offers panoramic views of the falls and serves international cuisine.
- Antica Pizzeria & Ristorante: A family-owned restaurant that serves authentic Italian food and pizza.
- The Keg Steakhouse + Bar: A chain restaurant that serves steaks, seafood, and cocktails.
- Tim Hortons: A Canadian icon that serves coffee, donuts, sandwiches, and pastries.
- Niagara Brewing Company: A craft brewery that serves beer, cider, and pub food.
- Spyce Lounge: A chic lounge that offers live music, dancing, and drinks.
What are some of the best outdoor activities and adventures in Niagara Falls?
- Niagara City Cruises: A boat tour that takes you to the base of the falls and lets you feel the spray and the roar of the water.
- WildPlay Whirlpool Adventure Course: An aerial adventure course that features ziplines, rope swings, bridges, and nets over the Niagara River.
- Marineland of Canada: An amusement park that features marine animals, rides, and shows.
- Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours: A thrilling boat ride that takes you through the rapids and whirlpools of the Niagara River.
- Niagara Falls Zipline: A zipline that lets you soar over the falls and enjoy the views.
Niagara Falls Travel Restrictions
- Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) required for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada.
- Passport, Passport Card or Enhanced Driver’s Licence required for U.S. citizens over 16 entering Canada by land or water; passport required for air travel.
- Proper identification and parental consent letter required for minors under 15 traveling to Canada.
- Possible inadmissibility to Canada for reasons such as criminal activity, human rights violations, organized crime, etc.
- Personal responsibility for compliance with public health and safety guidelines in New York State; no traveler health forms required as of June 25, 2021
I hope you enjoyed this complete travel guide to Niagara Falls and travel restrictions. Now you have all the information and tips you need to plan your perfect trip to this amazing destination. Don’t wait any longer and book your tickets and passes today. Niagara Falls is waiting for you!
Published By: Sixsense Digital Corporation