Staycation in NY lets you experience the city from a different perspective and appreciate its diversity and culture. New York is one of the most exciting and diverse cities in the world, but it can also be very expensive to visit. However, you don’t have to travel far or spend a lot of money to enjoy the Big Apple.
You can have a Staycation in NY and experience the city from a different perspective while saving money at the same time. We will show you some sources and strategies for finding cheap hotels, save money on transportation, and attractions in New York that will make your staycation memorable and affordable.
How to Find Cheap Hotels in New York
One of the most important factors for having a successful Staycation in NY is choosing a hotel location that suits your interests and budget. You want to be close to the places you want to visit but also avoid paying too much for accommodation.
Some examples of low-cost hotels in convenient locations near subway stations or bus stops are:
- Pod 51: This hotel offers compact but cozy rooms with private or shared bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, and a rooftop terrace. It is located in Midtown East, close to Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, and the United Nations. The average price per night is $75.
- The Jane: This hotel has a historic charm and a nautical theme. It features small but stylish rooms with shared bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and free Wi-Fi. It is located in the West Village, near High Line Park, Chelsea Market, and Greenwich Village. The average price per night is $85.
- HI New York City Hostel: This hostel offers dorms and private rooms with shared bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, lockers, and linens. It also has a common kitchen, a lounge, a garden, and a cafe. It is located on the Upper West Side, near Central Park, Columbia University, and the American Museum of Natural History. The average price per night is $40.
If you are looking for other options for accommodation, you can also consider hostels, guesthouses, or Airbnb. Hostels are great for meeting other travelers and saving money on lodging. Guesthouses are similar to hotels but usually offer more personal service and local flavor.
How to Find Cheap Attractions in New York
New York is full of amazing attractions for all kinds of interests, but some of them can be pricey. To save money and discover new places, you can use websites and apps like that help you find free or low-cost attractions and get discounts on tickets or passes.
Some of the attractions you can visit on a budget are:
- The Museum of the Moving Image: A museum that explores the history and art of film, television, and digital media. Admission is $15 for adults and $11 for students and seniors, but free on Fridays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- The High Line: A public park built on an elevated railway that offers stunning views of the city and the river. Admission is free.
You can also get free or reduced admission to museums or galleries by paying what you wish or becoming a member. Some of the museums or galleries that have these policies are:
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: A museum that has collections of art from various cultures and periods. Suggested admission is $25 for adults and $17 for students and seniors, but you can pay what you wish.
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA): A museum that has collections of modern and contemporary art. Admission is $25 for adults and $14 for students and seniors, but you can get unlimited free admission for yourself and a guest if you become a member for $85 per year.
- The Guggenheim Museum: A museum that has collections of modern art from various movements and styles. Admission is $25 for adults and $18 for students and seniors, but you can get unlimited free admission for yourself and a guest if you become a member for $75 per year.
How to Save Money on Transportation in New York: Staycation in NY
New York has a great public transportation system that can help you get around the city easily and cheaply. You can use subways, buses, trains, or ferries that connect different areas and attractions. You can buy tickets or passes online or on your phone using websites and apps like [MTA eTix], [MetroCard], [OMNY], and [NYC Ferry].
To use public transportation safely and efficiently, you should:
- Plan your route ahead of time using maps or apps.
- Check the schedules or timetables of subways, buses, trains, or ferries.
- Follow the signs or announcements that show the direction or destination of subways, buses, trains, or ferries.
- Pay attention to the safety rules and regulations of subways, buses, trains, or ferries.
- Be courteous and respectful to other passengers and staff of subways, buses, trains, or ferries.
If you prefer other options, you can also save money by:
- Walking: This is the simplest and cheapest way to enjoy the city. Walking is good for the environment and your health. However, you should be aware of the weather conditions, the traffic signals, and the pedestrian laws.
- Biking: This is another fun and affordable way to explore the city. You can rent a bike from bike-sharing stations like [Citi Bike], [JUMP], or [Lime]. You can also bring your bike or buy a used one. Biking is good for the environment and your health. However, you should wear a helmet, follow the bike lanes and rules, and lock your bike securely.
- Carpooling: This is a convenient and economical way to travel with other people who are going to the same place as you. You can use apps or websites that connect drivers and passengers like [Waze Carpool], [Via], or [BlaBlaCar]. You can also join a carpool club or network in your neighborhood or workplace. Carpooling is good for the environment and your social life. However, you should be careful about who you share a ride with, agree on the payment and pickup details, and respect the driver’s preferences.
Having a Staycation in New York on a budget can be fun and rewarding. You can find cheap hotels and attractions in New York that will suit your interests and needs. You can also save money on transportation in New York by using public transportation or other alternatives. By following these tips and sources, you can have a memorable and affordable Staycation in NY that will make you appreciate the city more.